Skip to main content

War of 1812 in Maryland

A guide to the University of Maryland, College Park's resources on the War of 1812 in Maryland.


What is microfilm?
Microfilm is reproduction of an original document on a roll of film. It looks very much like the film in a camera. It is made so that it is easy to preserve documents and make copies of them without having to handle old newsprint or crumbling letters.

How do I use microfilm?
Microfilm is inserted into a reader, which then projects a full-size image of the original onto a screen so that the user can view it. Please visit us and our librarians will provide a quick tutorial on the uses of microfilm and microfilm readers.

Where Can I Find These Materials?

Hornbake Library houses the campus's Archives and Manuscripts as well as its special book collections, maps and some microfilmed newspapers. The materials in this library are non-circulating, which means that they must be read in the special research room in Hornbake, the Maryland Room.  The Maryland Room has different hours than the library itself, so double-check them before you plan your visit. If possible, call ahead so that the librarians can have the materials on reserve for you.

Click here for a campus map showing library locations.

Newspapers Available at UMD on Microfilm

Visit the Maryland Room in Hornbake Library or the Periodical area of McKeldin Library to view these microfilmed newspapers.