Researching the Chesapeake Bay
Welcome to the Maryland Room Guide to the Chesapeake Bay
Special Collections and University Archives
The Maryland Room is located on the first floor of Hornbake Library North and provides access to materials from Special Collections and University Archives.
The Maryland Room is open to University of Maryland students, faculty, and staff; faculty, students, and staff from other colleges and universities; local, national, and international scholars; and members of the general public.
Materials accessed in the Maryland Room are only available to view in the reading room, and do not circulate. For directions, hours, and other information, please visit the Maryland Room homepage.
There are several places you can go to begin your research on the Chesapeake Bay. Use the links below to view specific resources and topics, or browse the guide using the tabs at the top if the page.
- Searching the Online Catalog: General information about how to locate books and other materials using the UMD online catalog.
- Ecology and the Environment: An introduction to locating environmental resources on the Chesapeake Bay. Includes a list of suggested subject headings.
- Navigation and History: An introduction to locating resources on the history and navigation of the Chesapeake Bay. Includes a list of suggested subject headings.
- Society and Culture: An introduction to locating resources on the society and culture of the Chesapeake Bay, including novels set on the Bay and pictorial works. Also with a list of suggested subject headings.
- Maps: Information about searching for maps of the Chesapeake Bay region.
- Archives and Manuscripts: An overview of archival collections related to the Chesapeake Bay.
- Photographs: An overview of searching for photographs of the Chesapeake Bay using the Baltimore News American Photograph Collection.
- Online Resources: A list of online resources, databases, and digitized collections pertaining to the Chesapeake Bay. Includes a list of websites for various Chesapeake Bay organizations and environmental programs.