READING ROOM GUIDELINES
- All visitors in the Maryland Room must follow all reading room rules, including:
- Food or drink is not permitted in the reading rooms. This includes candy, gum, lozenges, and water.
- Bags, coats, scarves, gloves, computer bags, and other personal belongings are not permitted in the reading rooms. We provide lockers to securely store your belongings.
- Please use only pencils to take notes. Pencils are available at the reference desk. Laptops (without cases) are permitted.
- Cameras (without flash) are permitted for personal research. Researchers must request permission to use a tripod or other specialized equipment.
- In consideration of other patrons, all phone conversations should be taken outside of the research room.
- Researchers using manuscripts, archives, and rare books should sit in the front row of reading room tables
- Thank you for helping us keep or collections safe and in good order for future researchers. If you have any questions, please contact us.
USING MATERIALS IN THE READING ROOM
Special collection materials are unique and irreplaceable. To help preserve our collections, we ask that researchers handle all special collection material gently and with clean hands. Reading room staff will provide instruction on the proper handling of special collections materials in the reading room, including:
For researchers consulting manuscripts:
For researchers consulting books: